Do you believe in the power and potential of building community? Do you enjoy working with people from varied backgrounds? If so, we’re hiring a SCI AmeriCorps Volunteer Outreach Coordinator!
When you join AmeriCorps, you use your energy, ideals, and talents to help others. Plus, you’ll earn money for education, learn to be a leader, and gain real job skills. SCI AmeriCorps members aim to build social capital in their communities through civic engagement opportunities, while gaining valuable experience in the process!
The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by increasing volunteerism and providing leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. The goal of the SCI AmeriCorps program is to connect youth with relationships, experiences and resources they need to succeed. Members implement volunteer outreach and capacity building activities that increase volunteer participation, and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for youth.
The Fenway Community Center Volunteer Outreach Coordinator (VOC) will develop and implement practices for effective volunteer engagement at FCC, drawing on SCI’s emphasis on relationship development and nurturing local social networks.
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator (VOC)
- Design a volunteer outreach plan aiming to increase the capacity of volunteers for FCC.
- Create a system for screening and matching volunteers to appropriate roles that meet educational needs.
- Coordinate projects that engage families in school and community life such as resource fairs, family arts and cultural events, academic enrichment projects and
- family service days.
- Utilize technology and in-person outreach to recruit residents to volunteer and participate in other civic activities.
- Manage contact information of volunteers, website and e-blast subscribers and other contacts.
- Create marketing materials to promote the FCC website, volunteer opportunities and Fenway Neighborhood events.
- Collaborate with other SCI staff, volunteers and partners on other projects to promote civic engagement, with an emphasis on integrating youth into activities of SCI and community partners.
- VOCs have a strong online presence. Members update content on SCI community portal websites, civic e-blasts, community partner sites and other websites to recruit residents to participate in volunteerism and other civic activities.At some host sites, VOCs serve as the primary webmaster for an SCI community website and primary editors a civic e-blast.
Required Skills for Essential Functions:
- Strong commitment to national service and the mission of SCI
- Desire to serve with diverse constituencies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to serve with youth in a group setting; past experience with youth helpful (for YLC)
- Ability to conduct community outreach and make presentations to community groups (for VOC)
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative to achieve goals
- Strong project management/multi-tasking abilities
- A clear plan for living on the AmeriCorps stipend in the Greater Boston area
- Availability to attend community meetings &events during evening and weekend hours (frequency varies by position)
- Bilingual communication skills a plus.
- Knowledge of the community served a plus.
- Ability to serve on a team and independently.
- College degree or coursework is preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of HTML, PHP and Drupal a plus for some positions
Benefits of serving with SCI AmeriCorps:
- Excellent experience for future professional and educational opportunities.
- Pre-service orientation and training provided by SCI; ongoing training opportunities and workshops
- Members receive a modest living allowance during their service
- Post-service educational award of $5,920 for full year members (1700 hours)
- Health insurance coverage available at no-cost premium
- Additional local benefits may be available
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.